Monday, March 25, 2013

The Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY

Outside my window...clear blues, slight breeze making the trees rather happy.


I am thinking...about the various techniques of self-preservation and sanity-guarding I've learned over the years.  Most are pretty easy going, but I find that when I have to engage the skills learned after Alex's death it's a whole new level of ... gads, I don't even know how to describe it.  Perhaps that's why, "I am thinking" - it needs to be thought through.

I am thankful...for my husband.  Always.

In the kitchen... coffee, once I've finished my first bottle of water this morning.

I am creating... a mess!  :)  I spent this past Thursday, Friday, and Saturday playing in Chaos and it was BLISS!

First I covered my ironing board with insulated batting and prettier fabric, but I'll spare you a photo.  I also re-covered a throw pillow and made a new pillow case for a travel pillow.  OH - and I made the boys pillowcases from fabric they picked out about a million years ago. I also . . .

whipped up a few Suzi Purse Inserts courtesy of Lazy Girl Designs.  I love it, and am super excited to have finally found the perfect purse organizer.  (I know - little things make me so happy!)  The fabric was a gift from a lovely friend.


Then I draped the dog kennel with the fabric that used to be curtains.

 

I wasn't ready to stop, so I pulled out some strips my mom gave me long ago.  I was saving them for when I was broke and couldn't buy new fabric.  Mission accomplished!  :)


Then Saturday arrived so I pulled out a bag full of half-square triangles that Mom had already turned into little squares.  I pulled up some HST boards on Pinterest and played with designs.  Faked in the sashing with scraps and this is what came of it.  I was pretty excited that so many points actually lined up!  :)


Now I need to get some batting on my Amazon wish list...
 
I am reading... The Power in Prayer and The PeacemakerPower I pulled from Piotr's collection.  Peacemaker was used as the crux of a devotional that was presented to the ladies at my church a few weeks ago.  I was blessed enough to have received a copy yesterday as a thank-you from one of those ladies.  What a treat!

I am going... to go start our 2nd quarter shortly.  Once the day is rolling, I'll go see if I have a chunk of batting and enough backing fabric to sandwich that HST quilt.


I am wondering... what the Lord is going to do with these next 8 weeks prior to Presbytery.

I am praying... for our Glendale house to sell.

I am looking forward to...
a season where everything with the boys isn't a constant struggle.

I am learning ... how to better steward myself.  Not sure that makes sense on the outside of my brain, but inside I totally get it!  :)


Around the house... laundry being shifted, boys trying to explain how wasting time is a great idea, girls mapping out their first week of the quarter, and a sewing machine calling my name.


The mother load...routine cleaning, menu/grocery planning, laundry, clothes shopping with the girls soon.  Nothing too unmanageable.

One of my favorite things... therapy of the sewing, music, and Charles Krug Cabernet Sauvignon variety.


A few plans for the rest of the week... manage the mother load, sew, establish a few new habits, etc.

A peek into my life ... this is why I always have a dog.




Care to Daybook?
 


4 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo! Three cheers for all the sewing you've gotten done - LOVE the HST quilt :D

    Amen to stewarding ourselves (on my mind as we enter a good/busy Holy Week).

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be able to sew.

    re the boys: if you enjoy the time wasted it isn't wasted lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasted time - oh no, not of the 'good' kind, rather, of the 'we don't really have to obey' kind.

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29