Frankly, we were just relieved to have a diagnosis.
What we weren't expecting was this much improvement in less than 18 hours.
And when we took a dry washcloth to it to drop the dead yick off it got even better.
She did end up with a staph infection which was attacked with low-dose antibiotics. Between that, home made yogurt to balance, and a prescription cream she's 97% back to normal, with just a little area (about the size of a lime) of darkening. That should continue to fade over the next few weeks.
In the mean-time, she's on 100% nickel avoidance which means new violin/bow parts. (She's a tad whiny about playing with a pink exam glove on her bow hand!) In addition, I've ordered a kit to test for nickel in all sorts of objects so we can figure out what she needs to avoid in the kitchen, etc.
While I don't find this particularly fascinating or appealing blog content, I had to get it out there in some way or another. When I was surfing for violin-related allergy issues, I couldn't find anything. With any luck, this will help someone avoid a long-term problem, a few doctor appointments, and a staph infection.
I'll try for a nicer topic next time around!