Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve Reflections

20 Questions for a New Year’s Eve Reflection

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?

Single?  Just one?  Are you kidding?

The Lord started a church for us after a year of wandering in the desert (literally!), then he brought me information about a biological father (albeit deceased) and a sister I never knew I had.  Then he gave us a fabulous trip to TN, a move to our cute little condo, and another trip to TN that brought with it all sorts of wondrous things including the purchase of the perfect piece of property.  Forgive my deviation from the 'single' but there is just no way!

2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
We had a family stay with us for 2 months in the summer.  Woah . . . I sure like my territory and really don't understand people who don't manage their own lives.

3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
The TN E-ticket ride of November.  More on that shortly, I promise!

4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
My ex-husband.  He'll be easily deflated, but he has thrown an old-woman hissy fit that was very unexpected.

5. Pick three words to describe 2011.
Stretching, Miracle-filled, Challenging.

6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2011 (don’t ask him; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).
Pass.  This just isn't how he operates.

7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2011 (again, without asking).
Ditto #6.

8. What were the best books you read this year?
Parenting by God's Promises: How to Raise Children in the Covenant of Grace

9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
Of course my savior comes first and my husband right behind.  After that, oddly, I'm going to have to say the relationship with a sister I never knew I had.  We're not close, but finding her and thus bringing bitter-sweet closure to some life-long questions has been of enormous value.  While I have a few extremely valuable relationships, that's the one that has had the most impact for 2011.

10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
I have finally decided that no, I'm not going to beat myself up for my shape or who I am anymore.  This is it, take it or leave it.  What a lovely place to be!

11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
In managing the fact that I'm not in control of every last detail of my life.  That trust, that every-second-of-the-day trust in someone and something else.

12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
My prayer life - much better than it's ever been.  Also that trust thing from number 11.  The Lord's got it all under control and I'm working hard to trust that.

13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
HA!  Moved into a two level condo with the master suite upstairs and lost a few inches with the running up and down.  It was organic, not some find extra time to work out with an annoying dvd thing.  Just a nice, unexpected perk.

14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
In my ability to keep my trap shut and listen more.  What a skill.  (And yes, I still have a LONG way to go!)

15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work?
Watching my work begin to pay off, watching sparks ignite and take off.

16. What was the most challenging part of your work?
Realizing that I'm not a very good mother of (emotionally) younger children. I still struggle with looking at 12 year old sons and remembering that they're emotionally about 8.

17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Well, the computer, duh!  I do, however, have a plan for that though.



18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
My daily study and prayer journaling was, by far, the best new (the journaling part) investment of time.

19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace. Ex 14:14.

20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2011 for you.
Martin Gore has done it for me.

Peace

Peace will come to me
Peace will come to me

I'm leaving bitterness behind
This time I'm cleaning up my mind
There is no space for the regrets
I will remember to forget

Just look at me
I am walking of incoming
Look at the frequencies of which I vibrate
I'm going to light up the world

Peace will come to me
Peace will come to me

I'm leaving anger in the past
With all the shadows that it caused
There is radar in my heart
I should have trusted from the start

Just look at me
I am a living act of holiness
Giving all the positive virtues that I possess
I'm going to light up the world

Peace will come to me
Just wait and see
Peace will come to me
It's meant to be

Peace will come to me
Just wait and see
Peace will come to me
It's inevitability

Interested in these 20 questions?

1 comment:

  1. You HAVE had an exciting year!

    Praying about 2012,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29