Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Ask and You Shall Receive

"A man who treats his woman like a princess is proof that he has been raised by a queen."

I saw this the other day and it struck me enough to have made note.  No, it's not so much that I want to be a queen - but I want the boys to be the kind of men who are going to treat the women in their lives well, be it sister, friend, stranger, - and especially their wives.

Since the boys came home, I've spent a lot of time praying for wisdom, and the ability to sort the world's psychology ("boys will be boys" - insert gagging noise here) from true understanding.

You know how you read your bible, pretty much daily, for years, knowing that you've read some verses a zillion times over, but for whatever reason something jumps out and smacks you in the face?

Well, since you can't see me, let me tell you - I've got a big, Proverb shaped mark on my face from being smacked this morning.


By long forbearing is a prince persuaded,
and a soft tongue breaketh the bone.
Pr 25:15.

I have no doubt that those of you who know me in real life are having a good laugh right about now.  Forbearance and a soft tongue are pretty much the antithesis of my genetic make up, to say the least.

But we serve a mighty God, a miracle worker.  He moves mountains and raises the dead.

Growing in me forbearance and a soft tongue is not impossible.

However, it should be an interested ride!
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm also noticing the words "by long forbearing"... kind of the opposite of all those cheery (bleck) books like "Have A New Teen in 10 Days!!!"

    And, btw, I have to confess to being guilty of saying "boys will be boys" - but I hope only in the context of explaining exuberance and adventure. NOT to excuse sinful behavior. ;D

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have no problem with, "Boys will be boys" in the he-gave-me-a-special-rock-so-he-loves-me sort of way! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29