Sunday, May 1, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels Matthew 26:36-75

Scripture ~ Matthew 26:73 And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee.

Observation ~ "thy speech bewrayeth thee."  Think about it.  Once you hear someone talking, you can often tell where they're from.  A southern drawl,  a  north eastern or a New Jersey accent, British, Indian, the list goes on.

The manner of Peter's speech was evidence of from whence he came.  After hitting up Gill for a little insight, I learned that Peter used a Galilean dialect.  While it was the same language used in Jerusalem, it was much rougher, less accurate, and not so well pronounced in Galilee than in Jerusalem.  Gill goes so far to explain it as, "a more gross, barbarous, and impolite language".  When someone takes my language and uses it in a rough or sloppy manner, they certainly stick out.

Application ~  I had to consider, what does my language say about me?  Could someone passing by hear my speech and know not only from where I came, but whom I had been with?  Is my speech evident of a life being lived with Christ?

Prayer ~ Father, so often my speech is used ill.  It reflects sin, rather than evidence of time spent with you.  Lord, Let no corrupt communication proceed out of my mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.  That I may not grieve the holy Spirit of God, whereby I am sealed unto the day of redemption. (Eph 4:29-30 customized.)  Grace, Lord.  Grace ministered unto the hearers can only point to you.

Find more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29