Saturday, May 7, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels Mark 2

Scripture ~ It wasn't so much one verse that I could pin down today, but rather a pattern of verses . . .

2:6 But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts,

2:16 And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?

2:24 And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?

Observation ~ Could the scribes and Pharisees please get a life?  I mean, really - does anyone else notice that all these people do, as far as Jesus is concerned, is follow him around solely for the point of looking for something that they don't like about him?  Simply to be contrary?

I also find it interesting that after v:6, Jesus responds to them.  Perhaps they didn't like/understand his response, because next in v:16 the scribes and Pharisees questioned the disciples about him.  Wouldn't their chances of avoiding gossip and getting solid information and understanding greatly improve if they would have gone straight to the source?

Application ~ I can certainly relate to this.  I've had my fair share of people buzzing about my life simply to attack and/or be contrary.  But what struck me here is . . . have I ever been a Pharisee?  Do I watch people simply to find something to attack?  Do I hang around just so I can be contrary?  For the most part I stick with those in my own set, but that does not mean I won't ever be tempted to slip into Pharisaical management of those with whom I don't agree or understand.

Prayer ~ Father, thank you, for having always brought me through situations like this.  I remember situations like this from girlhood all the way through last fall, and you always carry me through, depositing me a little stronger, a little wiser, and planted a little more firmly on my feet.  Thank you!  Lord, convict me, please, when I slip into being a Pharisee myself.  Prick my heart, that I just don't go there, and instead, stick a little closer to you.

Interested in more?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29