Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels Mark 13

Scripture ~ Mark 13:37 And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.


Observation ~ Much of this chapter is response to the question put forth by Peter, James, John, and Andrew.  In verse 4 they ask, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign when all these things shall be fulfilled?  Jesus spends the rest of the chapter explaining what do do, and what not to do in regards to their question.

But that last verse really struck me this morning.

And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch. 
(Emphasis mine.)

As verse 33 says, I must take heed . . . for I know not when the time is.  Then verse 37 instructs I am to WATCH.

Think about this for a minute.  If you have a guest coming, but you have a time frame, "sometime in the afternoon", rather than a particularly set time, what do you do?  You ensure your routine maintenance is done, and the morning of is spent finalizing last minute preparations for the guest.  By noon everything is ready and you can relax until your guest arrives.

But there are two twists  in the scenario to consider here.  First, we don't even have a time frame as to when we'll come face to face with the Son of Man.  While it will not very likely be in the next 5 minutes, we really don't know.  Second, consider the "guest".  This is no mortal guest for whom we only must prepare the schedule, home and meals (things which can be seen) but rather this guest is The One for whom we must prepare the heart and soul.


Application ~ How close am I to being prepared to meet Christ face to face?  Are the things under my management in order?  Does my marriage demonstrate a respectful and submissive wife?  Does my home display a diligent house keeper?  Do my children show the effects of a consistent and kind mother?  And what about my heart?  Does it reflect a life poured into it's faith in anticipation of coming face to face with God himself?  I'm heading out to run errands in a little while.  In the event of a fatal car accident, how prepared am I?

Prayer ~  Father, you know I'm not prepared.  You know my sinful heart, black with evil.  The work undone, the prayers unprayed, the study unstudied.  Please Lord, keep this lesson before me.  Impress it into my head and heart.  Grow me towards the supernatural diligence required to be truly preparing myself for you.

Interested in more on this chapter?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29