Sunday, May 15, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels Mark 10

Scripture ~ But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

Observation ~ I've read this many, many times, and just today decided to dig in a bit.  The Greek word for "much displeased" is aganakte√≥, which means I am angry, incensed, to grieve much, thus to be indignant.

My mini word study clarified some definitions . . .

Incensed -to inflame with wrathmake angry, enrage.
 
Indignant - feeling, characterized by, or expressing strong displeasure at something considered unjust, offensive, insulting, or base, outraged.

This was no mere snit or annoyance, this was Christ furious at the thought that the disciples could even possibly be so backwards as to send the children away.


Application ~ There are some that are more obvious, not segregating the family for various things like education, worship, and the like.  But I wonder - how often do I send mine away (to another room or place) because they don't fit with my personal agenda?  And if they don't fit my agenda, why is that my agenda to begin with?  And why am I not pursuing the agenda that Christ would have for me?

Prayer ~ Father, you know that I want what I want, how I want it, and when I want it.  Help me set my selfish desires aside.  I can not pray for help in suffering my children, because my children are such blessings.  Perhaps help me die to self, that I don't send my children off simply to better suit my plans.

Interested in other thoughts on Mark 10?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29