Friday, May 6, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels Mark 1

Scripture ~ Mark 1:35 And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.

Observation ~ The day before, the items from Jesus' to do list that made it to print included . . .

:21 went to the synagogue first thing in the morning and taught there
:23 rebuked the unclean spirit
:31 healed Simon's mother in law
:32 started, when the sun went down, healing all that were diseased or possessed
:33 managed the entire city that had gathered at that time

So, Jesus had been up since before dawn, worked all day, and then wrapped up the day by having an audience with the entire city starting in the evening, (which must have taken hours).

And yet the next morning, a great while before day,
he got up to pray.

Application ~ My busiest days are either World Tour Wednesdays when I cover from 120 - 175 miles and make anywhere from 4 - 14 stops over 6 - 10 hours, or Sundays when our elder and his family are in town and we have church service, then fellowship/meals for the church all day here in our home.  Either way, the next day I sleep until my body is done and then get up to start my day.

While that's usually enough to get some bible reading in, etc., I must confess the thought of getting up early enough to achieve solitude for a generous amount of time to pray is the last thing on my mind.  While yes, those are long days are long and physically and mentally taxing, I have nothing on the days that Jesus put in.

Prayer ~ Father, please convict me in my prayer life.  Grow me, especially in this area, in the manner you best see fit.  To follow you without prayer is like trying to live without breath.  Help me live more fully in you!

Want more?


2 comments:

  1. Prayer huh? Who would have thought that starting your day out with the Lord first thing in the morning is the answer to all the worlds problems. Thank you!! -Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - even though you're exhausted from the day before! Putting Christ before my exhaustion? I'm so revolutionary! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29