Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels Luke 1:39-80

Scripture ~ Luke 1:64 And his mouth was opened immediately, and his tongue loosed, and he spake, and praised God.

Observation ~ Again, how many times have I read this and not noticed?!  By this time, Zacharias had been silenced for at least nine months and 8 days, if not more.  After all that time, to finally be able to speak, what were the first things he expressed?  Love to his wife?  Appreciation to her for the son she bore him?  Love of his new son?  Excitement over the ability to communicate in the temple again?  What he wanted for dinner that night?

No, no, no, no and no.

The first thing out of his mouth was praise for God.  11 verses of praise and prophesy after being filled with the Holy Ghost.

Application ~ How often is praise for God the first thing out of my mouth?  Not nearly often enough.  I can speak whenever I want, and probably do far too often, and probably with idle words that I will, one day, have to account for.  It's time to be a little more like Zacharias.

Prayer ~ Father, thank you for your faithfulness in teaching me and helping me with my words.  Thank you for revealing this other area of word use in which to grow.  Show me, Father, speak through me . . . you do it so much better than I!

Interested in more on today's passage?

1 comment:

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29