Monday, May 23, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels Luke 1:1-38

Scripture ~ Luke 1:38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word.  And the angel departed from her.


Observation ~ She didn't argue, she didn't respond with, "Are you insane?" or "I can't do it." or "Please, God, no!"  She knew her culture, and that this was going to make a big mess of things.  A pregnancy out of wedlock would shame her entire family, destroy her betrothal, and possibly lead to her own death.  Yet, her only question (vs 34) was a request for clarity.  After a few verses of expansion, this young girl (what was she, 14, 15, 16 at most?)  followed with a statement of  enormous faith and quiet, immediate acceptance.


Application ~ When the Lord brings me things that I don't understand, or things that don't work perfectly for me (when viewed by my limited vision), is my response, " Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word."?  I'm afraid it rarely is.  I'll be memorizing this verse for future use.

Prayer ~ Father, you know that when things arise it often takes me time to work past the shock or concern, etc and get to the place of peace, knowing that you've got it all under control.  You're so patient with me, thank you! Father, please bring this verse quickly to the forefront of my heart when I'm faced with things from you that I'd rather question.  Turn me into a faithful handmaiden that I may be increasingly obedient, and you may be further glorified.

Interested in more on today's passage?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29