Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels

Scripture ~ Matthew 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:


Observation ~ What struck me this read was house.  At the moment, I'm watching a members of a 'house' deceive and divide and can just about guarantee the fall of the deceptive side of the 'house'.  It simply can not 'stand'.

Now thinking about this within our own homes - it is SO important to be of one mind.  As wives it is crucial that we can and do back our husbands 100%.  Can this really be done in an unequally yoked marriage where there are two different standards?  No.  That's not a marriage, that's room mates with a few perks.  Can this really be done in a marriage where a man abdicates and a woman runs the show?  No.  She's leading, not backing.

For those of us who believe the man should lead and the woman should follow - are we really backing our husbands, or are we wearing him down with the cards we play?  Emotional outbursts/drama queening, refusal to do the work required to seriously train our children, "I can't" disease, terminal hypochondria, pride and selfishness and the expense they require, etc.  These things are the guises under which we take the reins, wearing our husbands down to slowly and quietly surrendering to our sin.  Before we know it, we've pushed their abdication in one or more areas of life, taken the helm, and then bask in the false triumph until we 1. realize what a mess we've made and repent, or 2. merely notice life sucks and never put together why that's so.

(And yes, there are a lot of 'we' in there.  I've watched other women do some of these things, and I've done a few myself.  I know I'm not the only one!)

Application ~ Guard fiercely the unity of the marriage.  If the marriage is divided, the family is divided, if the family is divided, the church is divided.  Of course it can work in the other direction as well, but we can only manage what is in our immediate realm of dominion.

Prayer ~ Father, I'm a little dense.  We both know that it frequently requires a direct 2x4 hit.  Please, Father, show me where I am taking the reins that I may drop them sooner than later.  Reveal to me the areas I'm likely to try to take control and show me the higher road.  Thank you for your faithfulness to my marriage and it's unity.

Interested in more?

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Looking back, how many times do I wish that I had prayed that prayer. Moving forward, I know that I have to walk with God as the head of my household with the man that He gave to me.

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29