Monday, April 18, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels

Scripture ~ Matthew 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind.  And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Observation ~ "The blind leading the blind." is so common in it's use, but two things stuck out to me this time through.

1.  "Let them alone:"  I headed over to Gill's commentary to pick his brain on this little piece.

"Have nothing to say, or do with them; don't mind their anger and resentment, their reproaches and reflections, nor trouble yourselves at the offense they have taken; . . ."

It's so true.  The spiritually blind are fools, and to converse or be disrupted with and/or by a fool is, well, foolish!

2.  I'm sure many of us have been in situations where we were the blind leaders or the blind followers, and probably both.  The key is to avoid the blindness in the first place.  The other day I mentioned having a serious type of glaucoma.  While I was treated for it, there is still potential for future blindness.  The way to avoid that is by regular check ups.  Avoiding spiritual blindness, or being led by the spiritually blind can be done in the same manner.

Application ~ Have frequent spiritual check ups!  What am I doing?  Why?  To what end?  Is what I'm doing a biblical norm, or am I twisting scripture or stretching grace to get away with it?  Is this something I can back biblically, or am I claiming "freedom in Christ" when He'd never do or sanction such a thing?

Asking questions like this of myself and my leaders (via my husband) is good preventative maintenance for spiritual vision.

Prayer ~ Father, you search my heart and know me.  As you try my thoughts, please convict me to do the same, constantly measuring what I'm doing against your standard.  Thank you for putting us in a place where leaders encourage questions and the subsequent sharpening of iron against iron.

Interested in more?



2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of having frequent 'spiritual check-ups'!

    How are you enjoying Blogging Through the Gospels? I have peeked in on some of Amy's posts and it looks like something I would enjoy very much - just not when I am counting down the days until we move! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying it, thank you. But no - had I an impending move, I would NOT be doing this! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29