Saturday, April 16, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels

Scripture ~ Matthew 13:52 Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.

That word, 'householder' really leaped out at me this morning.

Observation ~

Definitions from the Greek via Biblos.com:
Every (pas): all, the whole, every kind of.
Scribe (grammateus): one learned in the Jewish Law, a religious teacher, a man of learning generally.
Who has been instructed (mathēteutheis): train in discipleship; pass: I am trained, discipled, instructed.
Householder (oikodespotē): head of a house.

So - everyone who is of learning, and has been discipled.  EVERY.  Is like . . .

Commentary via Gill:
. . . is like unto a man that is an householder . . .
that has an household or family under his care, as the ministers of the Gospel have, and which is the church of God; called the household of God, the household of faith, a spiritual house, and a family; consisting of fathers, young men, and children; of which indeed Christ is properly the householder and master, but Gospel ministers are deputies and stewards under him, and under him preside over the household, and have the government of it, provide food for it, and protect and defend it; all which require large gifts and abilities, great love and affection, both to Christ and his people; much wisdom, prudence, and knowledge; and great faithfulness and integrity, courage and firmness of mind.

Read that again - "and have the government of it, provide food for it, and protect and defend it; all which require large gifts and abilities, great love and affection, both to Christ and his people; much wisdom, prudence, and knowledge; and great faithfulness and integrity, courage and firmness of mind."

provide, protect, defend,
with large gifts and abilities,
great love, great affection,
wisdom, prudence, knowledge,
faithfulness, integrity, courage,
firmness of mind

That's quite a list, don't you think?

Application ~  If 'every' in the Greek means, well, EVERY, and these are the things a householder does, then I have some shoring up to do.  Do I provide all I can or just what needs to be done?  With great abilities (effort) or the bare minimum?  Am I actively pursuing increased wisdom, prudence, and knowledge or do I settle for only what I'm fed?  (And yes, being fed is important - trust me, I know.  But it's not everything.)  Am I always acting in faith, integrity, and with unfailing courage or is there 'what if-ing, wavering, and fear behind my actions?  Am I firm in mind or am I saying (verbally or by actions),"I don't know", "I can't", "Boo hoo, I'm not sure" and/or "Wah, it's so hard"?

Prayer ~ Father - you know I have work to do here, that there is much room for improvement.  "Provide, large gifts and abilities, great love and affection, knowledge" are the ones that stand out to me.  Lord, if Mr Gill has nailed your definition of a householder, please grow me in these areas, that I may bringeth forth out of my treasure things new and old - all to Your glory.

Looking for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29