Friday, April 29, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels Matthew 25

Scripture ~ Matthew 25:1-13 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Observation ~ This passage reminded me of Proverbs 9:1-6  Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:  She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table. She hath sent forth her maidens: she crieth upon the highest places of the city, Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him, Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.  Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding. (Underlining mine.)

Wisdom has oil for her lamps.  She's considered her needs and has arranged to meet them.  She has already managed her to-do list and is well ahead of the game.  Foolishness has lost her senses in the midst of excitement, is totally unprepared and hasn't even begun her most basic responsibilities.


Application ~ Where am I in my to-do list or general running of my household?  Is there a system in place?  Am I behind?  What do I need to do to be on target?  Am I on target?  What can I do to get ahead?  Am I prepared for the future?

Interesting ~ in writing out these questions I was thinking more in the physical keeping and caring for the home and it's occupants, a clean house, stocked kitchen, etc.  But really, spiritual life is even more important.  How is my daily time with the Lord?  Do I have a good routine there?  Am I on target?  Where do I need to grow?  Where am I fooling myself?

Prayer ~ Father, you are so merciful, and always with me regardless of the stage I'm in.  Thank you, Lord, for continually blessing my efforts in managing my home or in growing my spirit.  Please show me where I'm falling short that I may pray through a better plan.  And thank you, Lord, in advance, for I know those prayers will be answered.

Interested in more on Matthew 25?


1 comment:

  1. Love this summary -

    Wisdom has oil for her lamps. She's considered her needs and has arranged to meet them. She has already managed her to-do list and is well ahead of the game. Foolishness has lost her senses in the midst of excitement, is totally unprepared and hasn't even begun her most basic responsibilities.

    You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29