Sunday, April 24, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels Matthew 21:1-27

First things first - He is RISEN!  :)


Scripture ~ Matthew 21:25-26 The baptism of John, whence was it? from heaven, or of men?  And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say unto us, Why did ye not then believe him:  But if we shall say, Of men; we fear the people; for all hold John as a prophet.

Observation ~ Two things jump out at me here: projection, and fear of man.  The chief priests and elders were projecting (a bad defense mechanism) their ideas onto Jesus.  In doing so, they stir up fear in themselves and admit straight out, "we fear the people".  Now, these are the chief priests and elders.  One would think they would have been familiar with Psalm 56:4, Ecclesiastes 8:13, Psalm 56:11, Deut 1:17, Lev 19:14, etc., etc., etc., all which teach to fear God and not man.

What would have happened if they were straight with their answers in response to Jesus' question?


Application ~ No applying bad psychology and un-biblical thinking.  It says 'fear not', so I'd better knock it off!  :)

Prayer ~ Father, open my eyes in these situations, that my view may be clear, that I may speak honestly, without fear of mere man.  Thank you, for always giving me the words, especially when I can't find them myself.

Would you like more on this piece of scripture?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29