Thursday, April 7, 2011

Blogging Through the Gospels Day 4

Matthew 5

Scripture ~ Matthew 5:3-12  Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.  Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Observation ~ Again, how many times have I read this and yet not put this together?  We are blessed when we are weak, or in a weaker or unpopular position.

Application ~ Rather than distress during trials, find contentment with the blessings it produces.  Look not to the storm in the night, but to the fresh and clean scent it leaves behind in the morning.

Prayer ~ Father, guide me quickly to your perfect joy and contentment during trials, for I know the blessings are right around the corner.


Scripture ~ Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.  (Emphasis mine.)

Observation ~ This is the ultimate, "It's not all about me!" verse!


Application ~ How applicable on those days I just don't wanna do what I should be doing.  No one will really notice if I skip dusting the master bedroom, or skip mopping the kitchen floor.  But the fact of the matter is that if I do those things someone will notice them being done, and in doing so, God is glorified.

Prayer ~ Father, remind me, frequently please, that it's NOT all about me, and that dying to self glorifies YOU!


Scripture ~ Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Observation ~ This wasn't a new observation, so much as a big reminder for me, especially now that my blog is public again.  There really is blessing in loving your enemies.

Application ~ Continue to pray for those that curse, hate, use, and persecute me.  The blessing of freedom from that bitterness is so sweet!

Prayer ~ Father, keep my feet from falling here, keep me firmly in prayer for my enemies, and in doing so keep my heart right where you want it.

Interested in more about Matthew 5?  Visit here!

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to study the Bible.

    I just wanted to return the blog visit and thank you for leaving an encouraging comment. It was appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Q for visiting my blog! I am so happy you made me come over to yours - this is truly a great place to learn more about the bible! Thank you! Katja

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29