Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Personal Team of Disciplers


If my life were to be perfect (by my way of thinking) I would live in the mountains, or where there are trees and green, in community with strong, conservative, like-minded and biblically-based believers.  There would be a pastor who shepherds his manageable flock, unified and upstanding elders to support him, and women practicing Titus II as a way of life.  There would be transparency and accountability - both with love. Yes, I know I'm a dreamer.  Idealistic.  Most outgrow this stage in their 20's and I never did.

While I don't know about you, I've never had this.  I've had bits and pieces of some of it, but not the package deal.  It would be very easy to sit and cry and have a pity party, and Lord knows that's easy enough to do, but that's just too pathetic and it's not in me (most of the time) to stay there for too long.

So over the years I have built up  my own team of disciplers.  They are always at the ready, 24/7.  I don't have to get dressed, make a phone call, or pray they're not busy, or find time in my schedule or arrange to have the car to meet them.  Meetings never have to be canceled due to illness or family emergencies.


They are very convenient, and have well earned the investment made in their purchase,
and their place in my family library . . .

For digging in to what the Lord has for me~
Interlinear Greek-English New Testament
Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary

When I can't pray, the Puritans teach me~
The Valley of Vision

When I need to grow as a woman~
Female Piety ~ John Angell James
(Yes, a man!  Who would have thought?  Convicting stuff, this is not for wimps.)
Loving God with All Your Mind ~ Elizabeth George
On the Other Side of the Garden ~ Virginia Fugate

When I need encouragement as a wife~
The Excellent Wife ~ Martha Peace
The Fruit of Her Hands ~ Nancy Wilson

Reforming Marriage ~ Douglas Wilson

When I need encouragement as a mother~
Praise Her in the Gates ~ Nancy Wilson

When I need to train my children or am weary from doing so~
Child Training Tips ~ Reb Bradley
Raising Godly Tomatoes ~ L. Elizabeth Krueger

Raising Godly TomatoesWebsite ~ L. Elizabeth Krueger
Standing on the Promises ~ Douglas Wilson

When I need insight for the boys~
Future Men ~ Douglas Wilson
What He Must Be ~ Voddie Baucham Jr

And insight for the girls~
Beautiful Girlhood ~ Mabel Hale c/o Karen Andreola
Her Hand in Marriage ~ Douglas Wilson

When I'm a little strung out over studies~

A Charlotte Mason Companion ~ Karen Andreola
The Well Trained Mind ~ Bauer & Wise

And when I need wisdom in knowing how to direct another woman~
Spiritual Mothering ~ Susan Hunt

So what about you ~ do you have a team of disciplers on your bookshelves?
Please share them, there is always room to grow!

8 comments:

  1. Where did you find a copy of Female Piety? I'd love to read it!

    Looks like a fantastic list, though I confess most of my "disciplers" sit on the bookshelves after their initial reading. I need to be better about re-reading and consulting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your list, though I confess my "disciplers" frequently sit on the bookshelf, unread after their initial reading. I recently picked up Feminine Appeal again, with an eye towards re-reading Martha Peace, though I may do so by way of "The Feminist Mistake."

    Where did you get a copy of "Female Piety?" Amazon isn't being too forthcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - just put up a better link for Female Piety!

    My team comes down from the shelves depending on where I'm the most lacking that day. Someone is always 'coming over' to help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just ordered "Her Hand in Marriage". I've been reading so many historical books of how courtship used to be and even though my kids are still young my husband already looks at me like I'm crazy when I say I want our kids to be chaperoned at all times when dating.

    I'm looking forward to reading what the author has to say. I hope it's just fantastic and makes a better argument than I can. (I'm not good at debating.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm stopping by from Surrender, congratulations on the award! I'm following, and can't wait to read more! ;)

    Jennifer @ http://justpeachyindixie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Female Piety was excellent. I read it twice and each time it was borrowed from a friend. One of these days I have to pick up my own copy.

    Q, I love your list. I have found that the Lord grows me in many ways even while not reading a book on a particular subject. For instance, I grew more as a wife and mother after reading "The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment" then any woman's book. I have come to believe that growing as a Christian woman automatically matures me in all my different roles. So.... Here's my list:

    The book I go to every day no matter what and for every subject: The Bible

    Parenting:
    Baby Wise by Ezzo (for a few practical things)
    Shepherding A Child's Heart By Tedd Tripp
    My soon to be favorite: Grace-Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel
    Future Men by Douglas Wilson
    Standing on the Promises by Douglas Wilson
    Her Hand in Marriage by Douglas Wilson

    Prayer:
    The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
    The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
    The Loveliness of Christ by Samuel Rutherford
    The Valley of Vision

    Growing in godliness:
    The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs
    Keep a Quiet Heart by Elizabeth Elliot
    The Quest for Meekness and Quietness of Spirit by Matthew Henry
    The Art of Divine Contentment by Thomas Watson
    How to be Free From Bitterness by Jim Wilson

    As a wife and mother:
    Reforming Marriage by Douglas Wilson
    For a Glory and a Covering by Douglas Wilson
    Praise her in the Gates by Nancy Wilson
    The Fruit of her Hand by Nancy Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy, I need to give this more thought!

    But offhand, I would add:

    An Excellent Wife, by Elizabeth George
    Boyhood and Beyond, and
    Created for Work, by Bob Schultz
    and
    Age of Opportunity, by Paul David Tripp.

    Hmmm, thinking...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29