Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Tour of Chaos

I wanted to share a tour of Chaos for the sewing group at the Lounge, and this is the easiest way to do it . . .


This is what you see when you walk in the door.  Please ignore the bookcase across the way with the scrapbooking supplies on it.  Mr Perfect made the cutting table for me.  It is quite the monster to haul around, especially moving it upstairs, but the surface is much appreciated.

You can see stacks of yardage cuts under the table to the right.



After walking through the door and hooking a hard left you have the closet.  Here's the left side.  The left and center boxes are scrap fabric sorted by color.  The smaller buckets on the right are zippers, buttons, glue sticks, etc.  The red shelf underneath is mostly stamp sets, although my girls each have a UFO on the bottom shelf, and I have a bag of crushed walnut shells there too.  (They're great for pincushions!)  The buckets on the floor to the right store embroidery supplies, lace edgings, and the like.

The right side of the closet - bolts of fabric for my living/dining areas and my master suite.  A few books/magazines, Quilt Retailer, etc.  The drawer unit houses velcro, new zippers, webbing and buckles, etc.  Now that I think of it, I think there are fat quarters in there that need to be put with the rest of the fat quarters.  Goodness - and I thought I had found all the places I had stashed fabric when I was cleaning. 

Guess not!


As we continue clockwise, this is a little nook behind the Koala Cabinet.  These buckets are my private reserve that I don't share.  (We all have our limits!)  The top is my collection of paisleys, next is my non-paisley but still not sharing, then a bucket holding a collection of wine fabric, and I frankly don't remember what was in the bottom bucket - but I'm not sharing!


My machine sits on the flatbed, the serger is in the corner, and the girls have a machine set up too.  With that little chair in front of the smaller machine (Thank you Jack!) we really do fit two bodies in there for side by side sewing.  It's fun!


Next to the girls' machine on the floor is this basket of UFOs, along with two pillow forms that await transformation for the master bedroom.  Just behind them and to the right are bolts of pellon, ecology cloth, fusible interfacing, etc.


Another perk to the cutting table is the storage underneath.  I could stash a few bodies under there if I had to.  ;)  In the very back are a box of wool, another machine, boxes with pillows and a UFO that I came into possession of a few years ago.  The large buckets are muslin, batting/interfacing scraps, patterns, fat quarters, and boy/masculine fabric.  The patterns need a different storage method, something like filing so I can separate the various types (clothing, children, purses, etc).  Digging through that big, flat box to find what I need is a bit of a drag.


The window was woefully in need of something.  By the time I got to it, it was late and I wasn't going to start a sewing project right then and there.  However a lovely friend brought me a yard of this wide fabric sometime ago and it was just screaming to be let out of storage, so I threw it over the curtain rod.  You can barely see the sequins in the centers of the paisleys . . . I just LOVE it!


During the day time this window gives me a view of some local mountains, a lot of hot air balloons during season (speaking of, go visit Jan for some gorgeous balloon photos), the freeway exit that leads to my neighborhood, and the road one is on right before getting to my house.  It also affords a view of my neighbor's pool, but I wouldn't recommend partaking in that.

So what about you?  How do you have your supplies set up?  What works for you?

3 comments:

  1. Your sewing room is lovely!! How long did it take you to get all that fabric built up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun room, enjoy! Thanks for showing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Stopping in from the Lounge here. Organizing is not my strong suit but I love to see such wonderful spaces and dream that I may become slightly more organized just by seeing such. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29