Monday, June 28, 2010

Disconnected, Yet Connected

I love new beginnings.


And I love beginnings when the Lord is there to launch the voyage.

My family and I have been either spiritually hungry or at least dry/tried for between 6 months and 3 years, depending on the person.  Add to that, we've had what we knew to be 'a little off' be completely blown to bits from a seemingly (at the time) odd direction, and we've been forced to heavily question, pull back, circle wagons, and the like.  It has been a hard year, spiritually speaking.  The focus of my selfish heart has been the long hours that Mr Perfect works, the evil behind a figurative explosion, and now the latest (long) cycle of stunts the boys are pulling.  My prayers of late have become quite whiny.

Yuck.

I have known several people lately who have been setting and working towards "by my birthday" sorts of goals.  Enter July and August.  Two months.  We start our academic quarter today, and this quarter is 8 weeks long, ending in August.  We're kicking the work load up a notch x all four children - and me.  More is required of all of us.  Hmm . . . July and August, 8 week quarter . . .  Add to that the Summer Devotions Challenge from the Lounge.  (15 min/day.  No big trick, very manageable (15 minutes barely get's me started!) but there is just something nice about something to help direct me AWAY from myself.  I'm looking at quiet time with a bible and prayer and NO WHINING!)

What a perfect fit.

So as I read this morning I read with 'fix me' and 'how can I pursue this' heart - not in a whiny, boo-hoo sort of way that I'm afraid I've come to.

Here's what struck me  . . .

Even as the Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life as a ransom for many.  Matthew 20:28

Lord - help me minister, and give my life for my family . . .

He that tilleth his land shall have plenty of bread: but he that followeth after vain persons (empty pursuits) shall have poverty enough.  Prov 28:19

Lord - I've been surrounded by vain persons (empty pursuits) and it's so much easier to see this in others.  Show me MY vanity and empty pursuits that I can put them to death.

He that trusteth his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.  Prov 28:26

Lord - I've seen an abundance of this lately too.  Keep me well counseled in your word that I may 'be delivered', and that I may be busy working on the planks in my own eye.

New starts, new foci, new push, new outlook.  Yes, this could very well be completely disconnected to anyone else on the planet.  But to me these little bits and pieces of this and that all fit together.

At least - in my happy little world!

2 comments:

  1. These are the times that I bury my head in the bible and drink deeply from that Well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I catch myself in the same rut. Thanks for the encouragement.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29