Thursday, October 5, 2006

Lessons From Lancaster

The gunman is dead, the families have forgiven, and the funerals have begun. None of us understand it and there’s not a thing we can do to turn back time.

While not much shocks me, I must say that Monday afternoon/evening was spent walking around in a daze, as was Tuesday. I spent a lot of time asking what was to be learned from this.

First and foremost was a lesson in humility. The Amish are so humble, so peaceful, so forgiving, and the most unjudgmental people one could ever find. While I, on the other hand, have lots of opinions that get me up on a soap box far too often. Wow – is that soap box a great place for being judgmental!

Planks and specks – I’ve got to pipe down and spend more time on my heart.

Something else that came to mind, as I’m sure it did many, is that if this can happen in Lancaster Amish country, it can happen anywhere. We really aren’t safe anywhere, including in our own homes. While I don’t think this means donning our green berets and teaching our children with semi-automatics strapped to our backs, I do think it’s a great reminder to have a plan mapped out for the ‘what ifs’. I’m a great proponent for thinking on what is true* (which means not dwelling on what ifs), but I can see a place for being prepared.

It may be worth considering. If nothing else, for peace of mind, the same way we do for evacuation in the event of a fire. If you hear someone rattling the handle of the back door, what’s your plan? What about if the garage door goes up and you know it’s not your husband coming home from work? This is something that Mr L and I will be working through in the next week or so. Just a few different scenarios - how we are to get the girls and the cel phone into whatever room we deem safest, and what happens from there. (Out the window, over the fence to a neighbor’s, etc.)

Will it bring anyone back?

No.

But it may keep us around for a bit longer.


*Phil 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for signing up for Blogger Friend School! I just posted our first assignment last night and it's been a lot fun reading the blogs. Please be sure to visit the other's in the class :) I will post a class list later with links in a day or two to make it easy.

    I look forward to gleaning information from each other. I really enjoyed reading your first assignment. I am finding this really fun.

    Many Blessings,
    Tamara
    ~Training Hearts Mom

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29