Friday, October 6, 2006

Blogger Friend School Assignment #1

I’ve been accepted into the Blogger Friend School at Training Hearts. The first assignment is to write an introduction, including why we blog, and share something about our dream house.

My name is Mrs. L and I am married to Mr. Perfect. We live in the Phoenix metropolitan area with two daughters, ‘Daisy’ (10) and ‘Rose’ (8). Two more children are on the way (we’re waiting for a referral) via international adoption. We strive for a biblical life, fall short, and rely on the Lord’s new mercies each day. Our home education formally started in 2001 and its blessings and affirmations pour in daily.

We tend to stay busy with violin/viola practice for lessons and orchestra, reading, baking/cooking, sewing and quilting. On the horizon is another attempt at a garden (our first grew a bit, but didn’t produce much), learning how to make soap, and learning some basic Polish.

I was a blog browser for quite some time before entering the world as a blogger. There was so much to learn, so much to think about, so much to chew on, that I thought perhaps I may have something to offer. So, I began and would post about this and that, things that happened, things I was thinking about, observations I had made. What I have recently learned, though, is that I have become pridefully opinionated and need to stand down. I will continue to blog, because posting on about the general goings on here at home forces me to be sure that I am living purposely and productively – and when I don’t, it encourages me to get back on track.

As for my dream house . . .

This was a tough one! I spent some time looking at and dreaming about different floor plans but they all fell short in one area or another. Then I found myself becoming discontent with what I currently have. So, I humbly request permission NOT to post specific plans and pictures. What I can share, however, is that my dream home for this time in my life is the one that I’m in right now.

The only things I would change would be our income so we could afford to do the things we’d like to do to the house, and the location. Having lived in the desert for umpteen years, I’d really love to live in the mountains - somewhere green that has 4 distinct seasons, and were it rains on a regular basis!

So what are the perks with this house? First, it has payments we can afford! Once the flagstone and half wall are done in the front yard, the entry will be nice. There is beautiful cream, diagonally set tile through out the house. Our family room is small which forces us to stay close. Continue in and there is a library big enough to fit our 7 bookcases on one wall, a Koala cabinet (for my sewing stuff) on the other, and have room left for the couch, a settee, and a terribly comfortable chair and ottoman. The dining room will eventually fit a table that can hold 10 people. The kitchen (though needing a major cabinet overhaul) is coming along with its wine themed décor. There is an office off the kitchen/living area that while it is ever a mess, can be screened off quickly.

Down the hall is a cheery little bathroom that supports the three secondary bedrooms. There are enough rooms for the girls to share, the new siblings to share, and still have one left over for quests. It has recently been painted and looks pretty nice. The master is big enough for our Cal King bed, a hopeless chest, Mr. Perfect’s dresser and night stand, my desk/nightstand, and the armoire that houses most of my fabric. The adjoining bathroom has dual sinks and two closets aside from the normal toilet/bathtub. There are French doors that exit to one of two flagstone patios. One is off the master bedroom and is centered by an enormous shade tree. The other patio is off the office/kitchen area and contains two jacaranda trees that bloom beautifully in May. There is a small play structure for the children, and a garden that may eventually grow. A peach tree lives back there as well, but since it doesn’t produce but once in 5 years, it may be on its way out!

While I can’t believe I spent so much time writing about my house, I am happy to have done so. It has turned me back towards contentment, and has encouraged me to continue doing what I am able to keep it a lovely home.

Off to go see what I can do!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. L

    I just came to check out if you posted about Blogger Friend School's assignment. I like that you declined the "dream home" as it might have caused a stumbling block and you realized it. God is good.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much enjoyed your blog...this one and the one about the Amish schoolhouse shooting. I look forward to seeing more of your writing in the future of our blogring.

    My husband and I adopted twins from Ethiopia last year. I wish you well in your adventure!

    SlackerMom
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/slackermom

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((Hugs))) I didn't mean to cause any struggles in anyones life with the assignment "dream house". I feel terrible that this caused you to stumble and ask for your forgiveness. And yes, of course you can be exempt.

    Grade A+ and I look forward to reading more. Assignment #2 has been posted.

    ~Tamara

    ReplyDelete

Please . . . Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29